SMC Communications Inc. is a leading boutique public relations agency providing imaginative, influential and comprehensive marketing communications strategies for hospitality, lifestyle and consumer brands. Fusing traditional PR strategies with digital and social media, SMC offers its clients an integrated 360-degree approach driven by intelligent, focused and structured techniques. We are immersed in the deliciously fast-paced environment of culinary PR, working with some of the city’s top names in our centrally located, stunning heritage Gastown office. By fostering and maintaining strong relationships with a comprehensive network of journalists, broadcasters and bloggers, SMC is able to provide maximum coverage and guaranteed results within the ever-evolving media landscape.
The team at SMC is a group of fun, passionate, dedicated and dynamic professionals. We do what it takes to achieve success and always find a way to have fun along the way. We sincerely care about our clients and prioritize making their brand, our passion. Our ideal candidate is a true team player who’s up for any challenge, is positive, energetic, supportive of their colleagues and always willing to get the job done!
Who we're looking for
- Are you passionate about Vancouver’s exciting restaurant and food scene?
- Are you collaborative and excited about working in a tight knit team environment?
- Can you take initiative and learn on the fly?
- Do you have a strong work ethic, demonstrate an obsessive attention to detail and have exemplary written & verbal communication skills?
- Do you have a personality that can tackle adversity and overcome challenges?
- Are you up on current events – especially relating to the food and restaurant world?
- Do you value work life balance and appreciate perks and a competitive salary?
- Are you interested in being a part of something great for the long term?
SMC prides itself on offering a competitive compensation package with some enticing perks.
- Extended health and dental benefits
- Mobile phone allowance
- Provided Macbook Pro laptop
- Lifestyle spending allowance
- Spotify premium account
- Car to Go account
- Tickets to special events
- Team lunches, dinners and gift cards at Vancouver’s hottest restaurants (our clients!)
Account Managers are responsible for overseeing all aspects of their client accounts, including, but not limited to the following:
- Immerse yourself in each clients’ distinct brand and work closely with them to craft an authentic story that shares what makes them special; write compelling, personalized pitches, draft media materials and pitch targeted media and influencers.
- Assist in creating and managing imaginative PR campaigns and influencer programs that will have a positive impact on clients’ businesses (and ultimately help them grow and succeed!).
- Working in conjunction with SMC’s staff writer, manage the distribution of, and compile all assets for, regular press releases to key media.
- Maintain ongoing, positive relationships with key media and influencers; host media at client restaurants during and after office hours (including some weekends when necessary).
- Manage all requests for client information, assets, interviews etc. in a timely and professional manner.
- Coordinate media interviews, photo and video shoots, radio and television appearances and act as the on-site liaison between clients and the media.
- Communicate VIP and media reservation requests to clients.
- Create and organize on-brand events for client restaurant launches, media previews and other initiatives including event logistics, guest lists and logistics.
- Oversee all functions of MailChimp email database for applicable client accounts, including list maintenance, campaign distribution and analytics.
- Play an active role in ensuring social media accounts for applicable client accounts have a consistent voice / presence by communicating regularly with SMC’s Social + Digital Media Strategist.
- Send weekly media tracking, social media mentions and progress reports to each of your clients and SMC team.
- Additional duties as required.
- Must have a passion for food and Vancouver’s exciting culinary scene;
- Post-secondary education in communications, public relations or related field;
- Minimum 2 year’s experience in a communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or related role;
- A high level of proficiency with MS Word and Excel;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an extreme attention to detail;
- Extremely strong project management and time management skills along with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Experience with MailChimp, WordPress / Squarespace and basic HTML an asset;
- Graphic design experience and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite an asset;
- Hospitality / restaurant experience an asset.
If you meet the above qualifications, please send in the following for consideration:
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- One writing sample
Interested applicants may apply with their resume and cover letter with “Account Manager” in the subject line to email@example.com by Friday, May 25.
** We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
SMC Communications Inc.
310-119 W. Pender Street, Vancouver, BC
(604) 219-9042 | firstname.lastname@example.org